Saturday, September 26, 2026

Suicide Prevention...Truth Bomb

 As we close out this year's Suicide Prevention Awareness Month (happens every September, FYI), I'm going to drop some truth bomb energy on y'all. 

Some of you may not like it; some of you may get offended at the truth I'm dropping. Some of you may even find it so offensive that you, instead of heeding the call, feel the need to throw me into the cancel bucket. 

Some of you, sadly, already have distanced yourselves from me due to the words I have spoken. I have found, though, that an open throat chakra tends to help me survive the intrusive thoughts that I live w/daily. 

That's right. I suffer from Suicidal Ideation, and I often have to shake my head and readjust my mind to survive. Hard to do when you have no friends who actively participate in your life. For the most part (I do see a therapist, and yes, she helps), I'm on my own. 

I'm not going to quit speaking truth just because it makes your performative support of suicide prevention seem hypocritical. 

Sorry/NOT Sorry. 

Bottom line is there is another side of this story that very rarely gets talked about and, sadly, it means that many who need help don't or didn't get it. 

The other side of this is the fact that most of us who reach out NEVER get reached back to. 

WORDS ARE ONLY WORDS WHEN NO ACTION BACKS THEM UP!

Yep, that's right: w/o action, w/o actually showing up, connecting, reaching back to those you see reaching out (oftentimes screaming into the silent abyss), you aren’t actually helping anyone. You aren’t PREVENTING anyone from taking that last and unfortunate final step. 

SUICIDE ISN’T A PERSONAL FAILING, IT’S A COMMUNITY FAILING. 

During the awareness months, we see people raise the alarms and read blogs/articles of support for a myriad of societal concerns: domestic violence, elder/child abuse, depression and mental health, and, of course, and specifically, suicide. 

But all the alarms and chest-beating of articles or blogs lose the power they supposedly promote when no action is presented behind them. It becomes just words, w/ no real substance backing them up.

Yes, people who attempt, or unfortunately ‘succeed’ w/, suicide do so to stop the emotional pain they are feeling. That much we know. 

Sadly, what else we know about the prevention of suicide is that the way to relieve that deep emotional pain is usually connection and companionship w/ the person in pain. 

That’s the part we preach...

We tell people w/ suicidal tendencies, or ideation, to reach out, but how often do any of us reach back? Most of us don’t make that effort, and then, when the person in question does the thing, we grieve the loss but don’t take responsibility for our role within the catastrophe. We lay all the ‘blame’ at the feet of the person who committed the act. 

Even the dogma and faith of the Xtian church says that suicide is an ‘unforgivable sin’. 

But I’m not here to make it easier for you. I’m here to convict YOU. I’m not writing these words to offer you an opportunity to shift the blame. I'm here to tell you, YOU DIDN’T DO ENOUGH. 

They say, ‘Actions Speak Louder Than Words’.

If you want real ‘prevention’ of suicide, then you need to do that through ACTION, not platitudes and words. If you don’t put action into your prevention (through reaching back, being an active companion, a friend, a participant in their lives), then the supposed ‘Suicide Prevention Awareness…’ becomes nothing more than the prevention of the same awareness instead of the other way around. 

Frankly, it becomes hypocrisy. 

Extensive research across psychology, neuroscience, and medicine confirms that strong personal connections are essential for relieving emotional pain and protecting our overall well-being. Humans are wired to connect, and this connection affects our health. Especially our mental health. 

If you don’t get that part. If you don’t follow through past the words of concern and writing blogs about the need for connection to prevent suicide, then truly, you are PART OF THE PROBLEM, and part of the epidemic (Yes, the U.S. has the highest rate of suicide. Almost double that of countries w/ the same economy). 

The cure is deeper connection, deeper camaraderie. Being an active friend and being an active participant in the lives of those who reach out. 

You really wanna help?

REACH BACK!!! 

I have a poster on my wall, hanging by my front door.

I think that about sums it up. If you sincerely want to prevent suicide. 

Show TF up, and BE A FRIEND!

If You Think Someone Could Use A Friend, Be One!















No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments and thoughts however, please remember that this is MY blog and I wouldn't be hateful or bash you on your blog...constructive comments are always welcome.